Language Specialists: Engaging Multilingual Newcomers
Designed for language specialists working with multilingual learners who have recently arrived in the United States or are new to U.S. schools.
This eWorkshop explores how K-12 language specialists can engage a network of educators to support multilingual newcomers in their schools. Participants will learn how to:
* Respond to the social and emotional needs of newcomers.
* Implement instructional strategies to advance a shared vision of language development and content learning for newcomers.
* Build relationships and systems to support the integration of newcomers into a school community.
This series will qualify for 6 hours toward the NDDPI EL Cafe Credit at https://continuinged.umary.edu/courses/cafe-credit-2021.
* Attend three 2-hour live WIDA webinars
* Webinar #1 – June 8, 9:00am
* Webinar #2 – June 22, 9:00am
* Webinar #3 – June 29, 9:00am
* Engage in application tasks after each webinar
* A WIDA Secure Portal account to access the materials and webinar platform available in the WIDAeLearning Center
* Estimated total of 6 hours to complete entire webinar series and tasks
Planning with the 2020 ELD Standards Framework
This eWorkshop is designed for educators and leaders who are responsible
for language development within content learning and implementation of the English Language Development (ELD) Standards Framework. In each session, participants will receive additional resources for using the ELD Standards Framework in instructional planning. Teams are strongly encouraged to attend the webinars together.
This eWorkshop will assist educators in using the ELD Standards Framework to
identify and support language students will use to engage in content learning.
Participants will explore how the ELD Standards Framework can support
collaborative instructional planning.
This series will qualify for 3 hours toward the NDDPI EL Cafe Credit at https://continuinged.umary.edu/courses/cafe-credit-2021.
* Leverage student assets to integrate a language focus into content units.
* Identify and support language students will use throughout a series of unit activities.
FOUR BIG IDEAS:
EQUITY of Opportunity and Access
INTEGRATION of Content and Language
COLLABORATION among Stakeholders
FUNCTIONAL APPROACH to Language Development
* Attend two 90-minute live WIDA webinars
* Webinar #1 – April 13, 2:30pm
* Webinar #2 – April 20, 2:30pm
* WIDA Secure Portal account to access the materials, resources, and webinar platform available in the WIDA eLearning Center
* Estimated 3 hours to complete entire webinar series