- This event has passed.
Fargo-WIDA Speaking Workshop-The Noisy Classroom: Making Meaning through Purposeful Discourse
April 30 @ 8:00 am - 4:30 pm$25.00
Students learn through meaningful language use and authentic interaction. This workshop offers educators an opportunity to consider shifts in their professional practices designed to enhance students’ efficacy in engaging in extended and elaborated academic discourse. Participants are encouraged to bring authentic speaking samples from students in their classrooms to use for analysis and goal setting.
Audience: Language specialists and Content teachers who work with multilingual learners.
• Develop a shared understanding of how to create an inclusive environment that fosters meaning-making through oral discourse.
• Use a variety of resources to analyze oral language and establish language development goals within classroom contexts to increase purposeful discourse and engagement.
NOTE: While some time will be spent learning what is being assessed in the domain of Speaking in ACCESS 2.0, the focus of this workshop will be instructional practices that improve and expand academic discourse.
• Identify ways to create inclusive classroom environments
• Consider discussion routines and prompts that facilitate extended and elaborated oral discourse
• Create a shared understanding of language development over time
• Develop tools and resources for analyzing oral discourse and identifying next steps
• Plan for changes in professional practice to meet the needs of multilingual learners