- This event has passed.
2019 Healthy Schools Summit
March 28 @ 8:30 am - 3:30 pmFree
Head to Toe, Inside and Out: Educating the Whole Child needs to be at the center of what do each and every day.
Our purpose is to create a culture of wellness by equipping schools with innovative tools to strengthen the connection between healthy students and improved learning!
– Terri Swartout (School Health Coordinator from the MN Department of Education) What is the Whole Child framework? The link between health and learning is well known but how can we act on this knowledge and institutionalize it within our school systems and our classrooms? The art of using data and putting young people at the core of our decision making will be explored in this opening session.
– Nikki Peterson & Leah Swedberg (West Fargo Public Schools Health and PE Teachers) It’s uncommon for a school district to have Physical Education and Health Professionals as Teachers of the Year. West Fargo School District has two and we’re fortunate to learn why. Leah and Nicole instinctively know how to educate the Whole Child. They use engagement and social-emotional practices as they share life-long skills with their students. Get inspired as you learn what sets these leaders apart. The presentation will include an active participatory circle dance showcasing cultural and social engagement opportunities.
– Minneapolis Public Schools approach to minimally processed, scratch-made whole food menu items
– Farm to School Program from Spartanburg, SC
– A new look at concession stands
– Healthy Cooking in the Classroom
– Transforming through Activity, supporting the practices of physical educators
-Recess and movement integration approach from Sioux Falls Lutheran School
– Helping students learn through a variety of teaching and instructional strategies
– Excellence Academy, an alternative idea to keeping students from missing out on recess after repeated behaviors
– Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS)
– Grant writing
– Breastfeeding support at your School District